Engineer 1, Systems (Linux)
Enterprise Holdings is powered by technology. As a diverse team of idea enablers and problem-solvers, our more than 2,000 innovative IT professionals design, develop and drive the tech that is redefining how customers rent, buy and share vehicles from our family of brands — which includes Alamo Rent A Car, Enterprise Rent-A-Car and National Car Rental.
Here, you will be part of a team that creates and delivers powerful solutions for more than 10,000 branch locations and 100,000 employees across the world with the resources and support to develop in a variety of career paths. Enterprise Holdings IT is a critical area of the business; we develop technical solutions that power our global operations and a fleet of 2 million vehicles, allowing our branch employees to exceed our customers’ expectations.
As an Engineer 1 you will be responsible for developing, modifying and implementing elements of technology to solve business problems. As an Engineer 1, you will also have the opportunity to assist in the design. You will work with a team to test, research and investigate technology and assist with the requirements gathering of the solutions. We are looking for a self-starter that will maintain established service level agreements to meet customer expectations and quality standards.
As a Linux Systems Engineer 1, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, maintaining, and supporting complex components of the Linux Red Hat (RHEL) systems infrastructure. You will assist with the support of existing and new Linux and open-source technologies. Help support the design and architecture of new solutions in both physical and cloud-based environments.
- Intellectual curiosity. This is paramount. People who require strict work boundaries and/or prefer to focus within a single technical domain are not a good fit.
- We are looking for someone with passion and personality who loves a challenge. This person has strong engineering instincts and can sense risks while navigating towards solutions.
- Automate everything mentality. Understanding how to integrate disparate technologies using vendor APIs and orchestration tools is paramount to the success of this candidate. This person needs to be interested in more than clicking a button; this person needs to be interested in creating the button that others click.
- Ability to see the bigger picture. This person will understand the connections among all elements of a solution. They will help others see how their systems and related decisions connect to the bigger picture and affect success.
- Excellent communication skills. This person is an active listener and fully engaged communicator. S/he will plug into projects and not wait for questions to be packaged up and delivered - but will actively participate in the ongoing dialogue of the project.
- Comfortable with uncertainty (and the certainty of change). This person can anticipate change and is willing to embrace uncertainty - confidently knowing that they can adapt without losing their cool.
- Execution orientated. This person loathes doing nothing and is capable of defining their path forward from a high-level vision.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans
- Must be presently authorized to work in the U.S. without a requirement for work authorization sponsorship by our company for this position now or in the future
- 1+ years of system management experience on Red Hat or CentOS Linux
- 1+ years of experience automating and orchestrating common Linux administrative tasks
- 1+ years of Linux shell scripting experience
- 1+ years of Python programming experience
- Experience with security compliance, remediation, and reporting as well as security monitoring tools and patch automation strategies and techniques
- Excellent customer service and problem-solving skills
- Highly organized and detail oriented, ability to multi-task
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong desire to learn new technologies
- Strong sense of ownership for problem life-cycle and resolution
- Must be committed to incorporating security into all decisions and daily job responsibilities
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or related field preferred
- Experience working with Apache or Tomcat
- Experience with Rundeck, Ansible, and Artifactory
- Experience with Red Hat Satellite system management
- Experience with ServiceNow
- Experience with VMware or KVM virtualization technologies
- Experience with Container Platform