Software Engineer 3 - Java
Enterprise Fleet Management (EFM) is a full-service fleet management company for businesses with mid-size fleets. With 57 fully staffed offices nationwide, EFM supplies cars, light and medium duty trucks and service vehicles to businesses in the United States.
Enterprise Fleet Management Information Technology (EFMIT) provides streamlined and effective solutions to serve our growing operation. We offer solid architectural platforms with a strategic focus that clearly aligns to business growth and improving the customer experience. The Fleet Management systems are multi-tiered web applications leveraging microservice architectures and are integrated with our PeopleSoft financials system as well as our Oracle BI data warehouse.
Being a member of EFMIT offers all the advantages of a smaller shop including the opportunity to shape a more progressive architecture. Professionals who effectively navigate change and readily wear many hats will find this an opportunity to maximize skill diversity and build broad IT experience.
We are seeking an ambitious and talented career-minded professional who would like to experience new opportunities and enhance their current interpersonal and technical skill set while working in a collaborative environment.
EFMIT has an opportunity for a Software Engineer 3 that will work on various web applications catering to leasing of vehicles and associated services. As a key leader within our development team, you will be involved in all aspects of the solution from UI, middle tier and the backend database. We will rely on your leadership, innovative problem solving and demonstrated software development skills using a variety of Open Source, Enterprise level, and Cloud focused technologies. You will be part of a team responsible for all phases of an agile software development lifecycle.
As an Engineer 3 you will design, develop and modify many different elements of technology. You will be required to understand advanced methodologies and research and help standardize new techniques. You will be responsible for establishing ongoing direction and implementation of the technology vision and strategy. As an Engineer 3, we will be looking to you as a subject matter expert in multiple areas of technology that will represent your team in a positive manner within and outside of your department. You will be leading implementations and providing viable recommendations for implementing new solutions. You will be providing instruction and guidance to less senior team members on new tasks and assignments; ensuring deadlines are met. Daily activities will include collaborating with Architects and recommending adjustments to the architecture to improve the overall quality and integration. You will also be required to monitor key performance metrics to ensure compliance of established standards, processes, and procedures.
You will be responsible for evaluating elements of technology’s effectiveness through requirements gathering, testing, research and investigation and make recommendations for improvements that result in increased quality and effectiveness. You will be required to listen to and evaluate customer needs to determine and provide high quality solutions that align with customer expectations.
Other key responsibilities:
- Individual contributor performing both application design and coding
- Consistently analyze, translate, re-factor, and code software applications per specifications
- Identify opportunities to migrate in part or whole solutions to new architectures and technology while delivering new business functionality
- Assist in troubleshooting and resolving complex software application problems
- Develop and maintain automated unit tests that improves software quality
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Coach and mentor less experienced engineers
- Review, analyze and implement business requirements on assigned projects
- Define, develop, communicate and implement standards, processes and procedures for the department
- Identify issues and escalate risks to project leadership, as necessary
- Analyze and review software requirements to determine feasibility of a design within time and cost restraints
- Use system traces and debugging tools for problem determination and system tuning
- Maintain documentation on application modifications and updates
- Lead migration of applications to quality assurance and/or production environment
- Maintain established service level agreements to meet customer expectations and quality standards
- Participate in support activities and on-call rotation
- Participate in IT security and compliance remediation activities
Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veterans
- Must be presently authorized to work in the U.S. without a requirement for work authorization sponsorship by our company for this position now or in the future
- Available to work in the St. Louis office
- Must have at least 8 years’ experience in Java-based software development
- 3+ years of experience creating and implementing SQL
- 2+ years of experience using frameworks such as Spring and Hibernate
- Proficient knowledge of Java & J2EE (including JSP, EJB, JDBC, SQL, XML, HTML and associated technologies) and the use of those technologies in n-tier development environments
- Proficient knowledge is also expected in object-oriented application development principles, theories, and concepts using J2EE specific design patterns and usage
- Experience with unit testing
- Experience with build scripts (Ant and Gradle are a plus).
- Solid knowledge of Oracle database environment
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office desktop applications software
Compentencies- Based Position:
- Drives open communication in team; strong ability to communicate to technical and non-technical audiences and across levels in the organization; able to leverage multiple modes of communication; exhibits cultural sensitivity in communication
Collaborative & Team Focused
- Actively seeks out and values input from team members and key stakeholders; highly effective and agile in operating as a member of multiple teams; actively shares valuable information within and outside of team; builds relationships and collaborates with one’s team, as well as teams across the organization; participates in teambuilding activities; takes time to understand and partner with other IT teams; champions a team mentality and creates an environment that fosters collaboration and idea sharing within and outside of one’s team
- Places a critical emphasis on understanding customer needs, prioritizing work appropriately and leveraging internal and external business partners to enable quality solutions
Models EHI Culture
- Consistently displays a positive attitude towards EHI and team members; operates with trust and transparency; exhibits a strong degree of flexibility; adapts easily and quickly to change; flexible and agile in work and problem solving approach; adapts work methods and behaviors to changing conditions, new technology and business trends; possesses an appreciation for others’ strengths, adapting to and leveraging what others uniquely bring
Owns the Outcome
- Takes ownership of responsibilities - leveraging both internal and external service-oriented business partners - and holds self and others to high standards; successfully delivers in the face of ambiguity; goes above and beyond to improve and exceed expectations; exhibits a strong work ethic, as well as ownership of individual and team results; recognizes and drives solution opportunities and improvements
- Stays current on technology trends and how they impact one’s function; drives solutions by proposing, initiating, or explaining technical ideas to solve major problems; stays up-to-date on latest technology trends
Thrives in Change
- Embraces, adapts, and proactively responds to change; manages risk and uncertainty; takes conceptual ideas and turns them into reality; proponent of change; with an appreciation and respect for the past, pushes past norms and involves champions who will adopt new approaches and technology; avoids a reactive approach by constantly looking for and implementing new opportunities; remains flexible to meet changing and sometimes opposing demands; approaches change in a thoughtful and logical manner
Thinks & Acts Innovatively
- Uses technical and professional knowledge to design new methods where established methods and procedures are inapplicable or unavailable; pushes past the status quo and questions common practices in order to identify better ways of doing things; recommends and implements improvements and provides others with freedom to explore and be inventive; encourages others to frequently take a fresh look at existing policies, practices, and programs
- Influences to achieve small wins within own team or department that support an overall vision as set forth by leadership; understands and explains benefits of initiatives; proactively networks within and outside the organization; leverages multiple communication channels; remains open and engages thoughts of others; able to lead discussions and sell ideas
- Leads by example and actively mentors and coaches less senior employees with a willing and supportive attitude; delegates responsibility; provides timely and specific behavioral feedback